Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Thank you James, Lars, Kirk and Robert...


This last Sunday I went to Jonschwil, in the north of Switzerland, to see the concert of my favorite music band ! A 300km long drive from Lausanne... But it was really worth the pain !

When I was younger, not that I am really old now, I dreamt of seeing Guns n' Roses, Nirvana and Metallica perform live. This Sunday, I was able to see the only band still in activity in this list.

I am not an early day fan of Metallica, since I was too young when their first album was released (the band was formed in 1981 when I was 4) and also not yet interested in that kind of music. However, as the years went on, my interest in rock and heavy metal increased. To the point that when I started to learn how to play the guitar at the age of 18, I practiced on the "Black Album", the "And Justice for all" and "Master of Puppets" riffs. The aficionados from the band will realize that I have not mentioned "Kill 'em all" nor "Ride the Lightning". The reason is that I started to learn these more trashy songs only later on.

Being really impressed by Kirk, one of the last true guitar heroes still playing, I even today own a copy of the guitar that he is using (you can see it in one of my earlier post, it is the one with skulls on the net).

So when I saw back in May that Metallica was gonna come to Switzerland I immediately bought a ticket... Which is why I drove to that place next to Winterthur... Where Sam also joined me from Zurich.

What can I say from the concert... First of all the crowd was an interesting mix of early fans (mid 30s, early 40s), median age fans (like me) and young fans !! I saw some kids who were probably no more than 15 years old !

8PM.... the 4 guys come on the stage for a 2 hours show. These guys are really amazing. Every thing they play is perfect. You can really see that they are awesome music players. The songs are just great and everything rolls. The peak moment of the concert I would say are the fireworks on One and Enter Sandman, as well as their probably most renown song Nothing Else Matters. With this last song they really prove that the best balads are written by rock and heavy metal bands. Just think of the amazing balads writen by Led Zep, Scorpions, Guns etc...

In the end, I felt like a small kid who just saw Santa Claus ! Well, almost, since I know that Metallica does exist... And what a powerfull sound !

As a final note, they played one song from their new album, Death Magnetic, which will be released in Europe in September. First comment: excellent rythmic part and great sound. I just hope that the other tracks will be of the same quality.



Next concerts I would like to attend: Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Green Day, Jean-Louis Aubert, U2...

Oh, I could not finish this post without saying: Thanks to James, Lars, Kirk and Robert... And to make the list complete, thanks to Jason Newsted and finally the most amazing bass player of all time Cliff Burton. Yes, over the years you all have contributed to my passion of listening and playing music.

2 comments:

MujerDivina said...

You sure do like rock! But I am not sure any of the Colombian artists I post will live up to your expectations... though the next one I will post just might (its alternative rock).

Glad u had a good time, don't you love the way you feel after seeing your favorite performer live? What a high!

Xavi said...

Yes it was really great... I hope I can make it to the Foo Fighters soon !!!1